3.8.1 Surface Point Observation Displays
The IDV surface point observation display makes weather station plots.
If necessary, select surface data sources and times as described in
(see Loading Surface Data).
- If you do not have a Surface Plot created then create one from the Field Selector.
- Zoom in and see more stations
Changing Z position.
- Zoom and pan as needed to fill the display with Colorado.
As you zoom in you will see more stations appear in the plot.
- This display's control window appeared when the display was
made. You can control the density of the stations plotted using
Plot Density slider.
- To see all stations, click on the
Declutter checkbox to toggle it off.
- In the control window, use the
Station Model selector box to
change station model from METAR to Temperature.
Later in the workshop you learn how to change and create station models.
Station Model Editor).
Let's see where there is bad weather using the filter mechanism.
- Rotate the view to see that the stations are displayed at their actual altitude.
- Select the
Use fixed position button on the
Point Data Plot Control
to display the stations at a fixed level.
Remove All Displays
- Select the
Filters tab on the
Point Data Plot Control.
- In the first row under
- Select "<".
Value enter "40[F]". The "[F]" is an optional unit.
- In the second row under
SPD - wind speed.
- Select ">".
Value enter "20[MPH]".
- Press the
Apply Filters button.
- Click on one of the stations to see the full listing in the
Data Readout tab.
- If other displays are in the main IDV window, select the
menu item or the
icon in the toolbar to clear them out.