9.4 Real-time Data Access - Upper-air and Surface Observations
In a previous lesson, you used
and PTCON to list, plot and contour data from
point source files. These commands are very flexible and can access any
type of data stored in MD files. However,
RAOBCON, RAOBPLOT, and
"macro-like" commands that build and run a PTLIST, PTDISP or PTCON command to
access surface or upper-air point data.
These short commands are easier to use with real-time data, because the keyword
defaults are set up to easily access the most recent data available.
So, when you are using these commands, you will not have to specify the DATASET
keyword, and you will only have to specify TIME or DAY if you want to look at
something other than the most recent real-time data.
In this example, you will list real-time point data using SFCLIST and UALIST,
and then you will use RAOBCON, RAOBPLOT, SFCCON, and SFCPLOT to contour
and plot real-time surface and upper-air point data.
Listing real-time point data
- List the current real-time surface data for the state of Hawaii.
This command defaults to listing data from the current day and time using the
- Type: SFCLIST HI
- Run the same command, but this time sort the stations in alphabetical
order, instead of in chronological order.
- Type: SFCLIST HI SORT=STN
- List the current real-time upper-air data for the state of Wyoming.
- Type: UALIST ST=WY
Displaying and contouring real-time point data
- Erase both the images and graphics in frames 1 through 4.
- Type: ERASE F 1 4
- Display the two latest GOES-8 IR images on frames 1 and 2 centered on
Charlotte, North Carolina. Show each frame and add a map in graphics color
IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-IR ALL=1 2 STA=CLT EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG (GRA);MAP H 2 GRA=(GRA)'
- Show frame 1 and plot today's 00 UTC 850 mb heights on the satellite image
using data from the real-time mandatory upper air point data set.
Draw the plot in graphics color level 4.
(Note: You do not need to
specify the DATASET keyword or the DAY positional parameter. Since you are
interested in today's data from the RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND dataset, you can just
use the defaults for DAY and DATASET.)
- Type: SF 1;RAOBPLOT Z 850 SAT 00 COLOR=4
- Draw contours over the plot in frame 1 using the same data.
Draw the contours in graphics color level 5, with a contour
interval of 30.
- Type: RAOBCON Z 850 SAT 00 COLOR=5 CINT=30
- Show frame 2 and plot the current weather symbols
on the satellite image using data from the RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND dataset
(the default dataset). Draw the symbols in graphics color level 4.
- Type: SF 2;SFCPLOT WXS COLOR=4
- Contour the current temperature over the plot using the same data
and conditions as in the previous step. Define a contour level of 5
degrees and draw the contours in color 3.
- Type: SFCCON T COLOR=3 CINT=5
- Plot the winds over South Carolina at 00 UTC today
in frame 3. Use data from the surface (the default) and ship point data
files and draw the barbs in green (color 4).
- Type: SF 3;ERASE F;SFCPLOT WINDB SC 00 COLOR=4 DATA=RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY
- Draw the 00 UTC 200 mb streamlines over the United States in graphics
color level 5. Show the frame when the plot is finished.
- Type: ERASE F 4;RAOBCON STREAML 200 USA 00 COLOR=5 GRA=4;SF 4