7.5 MD files - Meteorological Diagrams
In this exercise, you will create four types of meteorological diagrams: a
Skew-T diagram, a hodograph, a vertical cross section and a surface
meteorogram. You will also list surface data in a tabular format.
- Erase the images and graphics in frames 1 through 6.
- Type: ERASE F 1 6
- List the upper-air reporting stations in position 2 of the
MYDATA/TEST-PTSRCS dataset that you copied in the previous exercise.
- Type: PTLIST MYDATA/TEST-PTSRCS.2 PAR=IDN NUM=ALL
- Choose one of the stations listed. Show frame 1 and plot a Skew-T diagram
for your chosen station (in this case, 72304, which is Cape Hatteras, North
Carolina) at 12 UTC using the data in MYDATA/TEST-PTSRCS.2.
- Type: SF 1;UAPLOT 72304 12 93072 DATASET=MYDATA/TEST-PTSRCS.2
- Plot a hodograph of the data from Cape Hatteras on frame 2. Show frame 2
- Type: HODO 72304 12 93072 GRA=2 DATASET=MYDATA/TEST-PTSRCS.2;SF 2
- Show frame 3 and display a map of the stations contained in this dataset.
- Type: SF 3;PTDISP MYDATA/TEST-PTSRCS.2 PARAM=IDN MAP=USA
- Choose two stations that are the farthest apart on the map.
Show frame 4 and display a vertical cross section of theta, wind, and
mixing ratio values from these two stations (in this case, Waycross,
Georgia (72213) to Washington/Dulles, Virginia (72402)) using upper air
data from MD file 4001. The MAP=YES keyword displays a map in the
upper-right corner showing the cross section location and stations
- Type: UACROSS 72213 72402 MAP=YES DATASET=MYDATA/TEST-PTSRCS.2 TIME=12 DAY=13/MAR/93
PARAM=THA WINDB MIX GRA=4;SF 4
- Show frame 5 and plot a 24-hour surface meteorogram for Macon, Georgia,
ending at 23 UTC on 13 March 1993 using data from the BLIZZARD/SFCHOURLY
- Type: SF 5;SFCMG MCN TIME=23 DAY=13/MAR/93 DATASET=BLIZZARD/SFCHOURLY
- List the surface hourly data for Macon, Georgia for the past 24 hours.
You should notice that the data listed in the Text Window is the same as that
displayed in the Image Window.
- Type: SFCLIST MCN TIME=0 23 DAY=13/MAR/93 DATASET=BLIZZARD/SFCHOURLY
- Exit McIDAS.
- Type: EXIT