4.3.2 Level II RHI Displays
The pseudo-RHI display is constructed from the several
azimuthal sweeps available in the WSR-88D Level II output files.
The IDV makes a pseudo-RHI display from Level II data. The display
is presented in a conventional 2D plot, and in a 3D display at
the correct position in the atmosphere.
If necessary, select Level II data and times as described in
Accessing WSR-88D Level II Radar Data.
- If other displays are in the main IDV window, select the
menu item or the
icon in the toolbar to clear them out.
- In the
Field Selector window create a
display using the
The RHI control window appears in the
The RHI display appears inside the RHI control window as a 2D plot.
- The RHI also appears in the main 3D view window.
View the RHI in 3D, and change the azimuth.
Working with the 2D RHI display
- Rotate, pan, and zoom the 3D display as needed to see the
RHI in 3D.
Note the center and vertical
width of the beams making up the "RHI" are in their
actual locations in the atmosphere. You can show any
Level II 3D radar display in
the IDV with other upper air data, such as NOAA Profiler Network winds.
The initial vertical exaggeration in the IDV is about 13:1.
- Change the azimuth by dragging with the left mouse button on
the small square box at the outer end of the selector line above the RHI.
- If desired, restore the initial overhead
viewpoint with the key combination Ctrl-r.
- Pan the 2D display with a right mouse button drag,
and zoom the display by dragging the right mouse button forward
and backward with the Shift key pressed.
- You can get the distance-height coordinate
at any point on the 2D plot with the middle mouse button.
- You can get the data value for a color by placing the mouse cursor
anywhere on the color bar.
- You can auto-rotate the RHI in both displays by clicking on the
Autorotate RHI button.
Click Autorotate on and watch both 2D and 3D displays.
- Make a 3D sweep display for the same data,
and watch the RHI move across the sweep.
- Click off
Français Español Portugese Italian Japanese Korean Russian Chinese-simp Chinese-trad Dutch German Greek Français Español Portugese Italian Japanese Korean Russian Chinese-simp Chinese-trad Dutch German Greek